Wednesday, June 5, 2024

IMRAN ALI CHAUDHARY: A CHAMPION OF HUMANITY IN CIVIL SERVICES

A tribute to a living legend in bureaucracy

Mahtab Bashir
0333 53 63 248
mahtabbashir@gmail.com
Islamabad


    From the colonial era to the present, the bureaucracy of Pakistan has been under constant scrutiny for a variety of reasons. Both the general public and politicians express widespread discontent with the operations of the bureaucracy, citing pervasive corruption, unethical practices and shenanigans.

    But today, I would like to recount a story of a seasoned bureaucrat who was instrumental in helping us overcome seemingly insurmountable challenge, earning him a reputation as a guardian angel within the bureaucracy of Pakistan.


"I am absolutely certain that my generations to come will forever be grateful to this individual who accomplished this remarkable task - a miracle, in my opinion"

    It was the month of April 2020 when I received a distressing call from my elder sister Samina from Lahore, urgently asking me to bring her husband (my brother-in-law) from Barcelona, (Spain) to Pakistan. As the grip of Covid-19 had tightened its deadly hold on Europe, including Spain, all air travel had come to a standstill. My sister called me again the next day, tears in her eyes, pleading to do something as her husband Shakil was unwell. She promised to make all necessary arrangements as per the doctors' advice to ensure his recovery once he arrived in Lahore or Islamabad. 

    I knew the gravity of the situation and began to seriously think about what I could do to help. I was out in the field reporting on Constitution Avenue when I received her call and quickly raced back to my office with possibilities. While riding my bike, I recalled an interview I had conducted with the Consulate General in Barcelona, Imran Ali Chaudhary and frantically searched for the old file and found the interview notes, where he had provided his contact information for emergencies. I immediately saved his contact number in my phone, hoping that he could assist me in this critical situation.

    At approximately 9 pm, I finished my work for the day and decided to send a quick message to Chaudhary on his WhatsApp, considering his position as a high-ranking bureaucrat, I was reluctant to get his response. As I hopped on my bike to head home, I found myself near HEC within 15 minutes, when suddenly I received a call from Chaudhary who first apologized for the delay in responding to my message and later expressed his well wishes for my brother-in-law's health. Chaudhary requested my brother-in-law's contact information so he could visit him and offer his support. I, immediately, shared the contact number with him and continued my journey home. Upon arriving home, I received another call from Chaudhary, who was at Shakil's residence, reassuring me that he had already spoken with my brother and everything was under control. It was not only a big relief to me but biggest surprise as well. 

    Since then, the officer continued to provide me with assistance and spared no effort to ensure Shakil's return to Pakistan. Chaudhary provided me with the necessary documents and maintained regular communication with me. Eventually, he contacted me to inform that he was monitoring a special PIA flight from Islamabad to Barcelona to Lahore. "Please keep me informed from your end regarding the scheduling of this flight, and I will handle all necessary arrangements," he reassured me.

Muhammad Imran Ali Chaudhary, Ambassador of Pakistan to Oman

    A few days later, Chaudhary informed me about the special PIA flight and provided me with a detailed flight schedule which included the names of all passengers, with Shakil Akhter's name at the top of the list. I immediately contacted my cousin, who was in Barcelona with Shakil, to arrange for travel permission. He said the flight was scheduled for May 12th, but the doctors would be visiting the hospital on May 16th. I quickly reached out to Chaudhary, expressing my concerns. He reassured me saying, "Do not worry. I will personally ensure that Shakil boards the flight, regardless of whether the travel NOC is available or not." True to his word, Chaudhary made sure that Shakil was able to board the flight successfully.

    The most significant day for all of us was on 12th May 2020 when the PIA special flight departed from Barcelona to Lahore. I received the video clip of my cousins and Consulate General, confirming that Shakil had safely arrived in Lahore and was later placed in quarantine. He spent 21 days with his family before tragically passing away on June 6, 2020.

    Now, whenever we visit the resting place of Shakil, nestled between his parents' graves, we find solace. Our prayers are first for the remarkable living legend, Imran Ali Chaudhary, and then for Shakil's eternal peace. May Allah grant Shakil a place of honour in Heaven, give his wife and children strength, and bestow abundant blessings upon Chaudhary in this life and hereafter.

    Imran Ali Chaudhary is no ordinary individual, with a remarkable profile that speaks volumes. A distinguished member of the Foreign Service of Pakistan, Imran Ali has been fulfilling his duties as Pakistan's Ambassador to Oman since the beginning of 2022. Prior to this role, he held the position of Consul General in Barcelona from 2018 to 2022, showcasing his diplomatic skills and expertise. Chaudhary has also served in prestigious locations such as Washington DC from 2000 to 2004 and Toronto from 2009 to 2014, solidifying his reputation as a seasoned diplomat.

    Being a strong advocate for drastic changes in the Civil Services of Pakistan, he held the position of director for the Civil Services Common Training Program from 2016 to 2018. He is proud of revolutionizing the curriculum by incorporating values like kindness, compassion, language proficiency, and promoting the Pakistan narrative during the training at the academy.

    From 2006 to 2009, he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to study at Georgetown and George Washington Universities. During this time, he pursued his Master's degree and completed pre-PhD coursework in International Politics, with a specific focus on US relations with Pakistan and India. In addition to his academic achievements, he also earned an MBBS degree from King Edward Medical College and MA degrees in History and Political Science from Punjab University.

    Chaudhary holds the belief that the Civil Services serve as the primary connection between the government of Pakistan and its citizens, being the first line of defense and problem solvers. He emphasizes the importance of kindness and understanding as key characteristics for all officers, highlighting that the accessibility of officers is crucial for fostering this relationship. According to him, the charm of Pakistan lies in its friendly and hospitable people. Contrary to common misconceptions, Pakistan is described as a progressive, modern, and highly democratic nation with a population that is known for its warmth and intellect.

    His main interests lie in Pakistan's historical and political frameworks, including federalism and its intricate mechanisms. He is a family man, blessed with a daughter, and shares a love for pets, owning four small dogs and a cat. The Ambassador truly embodies the qualities described in his profile.

For more reading please click 

Writer is a journalist associated with Dunya Media Group and a student of M.Phil, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad.

No comments:

BASHIR HUSSAIN NAZIM: A STAUNCH ADVOCATE OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD'S TEACHINGS

Mahtab Bashir mahtabbashir@gmail.com 03335363248 Islamabad      Many moons ago, as I set out for the office, I spotted my father standing ou...